Archive for the ‘Our First Flat’ Category
In a break from the current routine, I interupt my regular daddy-based blogging to post an update on our house DIY!
As a bit of background for the uninitiated, I started my first proper blog 8 years ago – titled “Our First Flat” it chronicled the DIY efforts of doing up our house. You can read all the old posts by clicking the “Our First Flat” link on the side navigation, but needless to say I’ve not updated it (consistently) for several years not.
Read the rest of this entry »
Long ago, before I turned by blogging efforts towards the subject of fatherhood, I had a number of other blogs – most of which can be viewed in the categories to the left, if you’re interested. One of them, entitled “Our First Flat”, was a chronicle of the efforts we made on our house when we first moved in – decoration, DIY, building and the like.
We kept it up for a good few years – until summer 2008, coincidentally when Robert was born! We’ve done a few big jobs since then, including replacing our kitchen (on our own, in the most part!) and of course a selection of child-related projects. But the one we’ve just completed seemed worth a post, since we’re so proud of it.
Read the rest of this entry »
With the arrival of our first baby imminent, Sara finally decided she could cope with the bare floorboards no longer and ordered some carpet for the hallway. The carpet fitters, seeing her condition, promised they would try to get it fitted before baby’s arrival date of the 26th of June. As you can see from the shots below, they did this – well, sort of! They delivered and fitted the carpet on June 19th, but as some of you will know, the baby decided to make his way in to the world on June 14th! So it was quite hectic in our house on that day, as you can imagine. The finished result looks pretty good though, don’t you think? And it’s certainly a lot nicer to walk on, which is handy for all the walks up and down the stairs to change baby’s nappy!
Since the baby is due any day now (well, in the next 4-6 weeks anyway) we thought it would be a good idea to make a little more space in the garage – you never know when another kind relative will drop off a spare cot or moses basket! So Henry set to work cleaning up the garage, and a heavily-pregnant Sara decided that the garden needed weeding. We followed a day of hard work with the first barbecue of the season – WAY later than last year’s first BBQ (April I believe) but hopefully the first of many to come…
We finally got round to putting the finishing touches to the lavatory this weekend. Having sanded all the rough plaster last weekend, we were able to paint the end of the room that was once hidden by the crappy cupboard the previous occupent had bodged. Once that was done, all that remained was the skirting board and beading (why do they call it beading?!). As you can see from the photos below, we managed to do a reasonable job of it and the bathroom finally looks presentable.
Having got back from a busy Christmas all over the country, Sara decided to take some initiative and rip up the kitchen floor! Parts of it have been peeling up intermitently for a while, but after we left the fridge defrosting while we were away a lot more of it had come up. So we both got down and dirty and ripped the rest of the (disgusting) old parke flooring up – parke flooring which had been glued to the old vinyl and then glued to the floor. Needless to say it was quite hard to get off…!
Then, today we finally got round to putting up the first of three bannisters that we need (both for fire regulations and pregnant ladies!!) on the stairs – we decided to do the main stairs first (the small stairs and the front steps both need bannisters as well!) and it worked out okay, as you can see below.
This is a bit of a work-in-progress job – sorting out the part of the toilet room that was previously behind a cupboard. Sadly, the previous owners decided not to bother plastering it properly when they installed the new boiler, and instead just stuck a load of cruddy posters and letters over the top. Obviously we wanted to take the photos off, but it wasn’t until we did that we quite realised how bad it was.
We attempted to patch over some of the holes with filler, but the right hand wall (the one you can see Henry scraping in the photo below) is so bad that it will probably need to be covered in plasterboard. Not quite sure when we will get round to doing that!
One of the few areas which we hadn’t already painted is the area outside the bathroom – for the obvious reason that we were waiting until the bathroom was finished so we knew where to paint! Now that it IS finished, we’re painting the bit outside the door to match the rest of the hall (i.e. two shades of green) and the inside a nice light blue, in waterproof paint of course!